5 Pros and Cons of Apple watch after 3 months
I've been wearing my Apple Watch every day since it arrived in early May. Since then I've been recording my thoughts both positive and negative on the newest of Apple's products. Here are my top 5 pros and cons.
- Notifications - Wearing a tiny computer as a watch means I don't always have to keep my phone on me and I often leave it at my desk. While it seems insignificant, I assure you, it's not. I love the feeling of empty pockets while checking my texts and emails.
- Aesthetics - I love wearing the watch with any outfit. it's quite stylish
- The Clock - With so many customizable features for the clock the watch always seems new. Whether I'm sporting a minimal clock face or a digital time with 4 other complications like temperature, schedule, activity, and sunrise/sunset I feel like the watch is customized just for me and what I need at that time.
- Siri - While Siri doesn't always work perfectly, it's still an amazingly useful technology to have access to on your wrist.
- Workout - Walking, running, or biking I always fire up the workout app. Once the app runs, I can see at a glance my pace, heart rate, and a timer. While I'm hoping for more activities to be supported in the future, I love using it even now.
- 3rd Party Apps - Developers other than Apple have not gotten access to many of the best features of the watch like, the heart rate sensor, accelerometer, and storing the app on the watch itself for fast loading. Currently, 3rd party apps are slow to load because they rely on the iPhone for most everything. Fitness apps especially could make great use of the accelerometer and heart rate sensor.
- Touchscreen - The screen of the watch is not as responsive to my touch as the iPhone screen. Often I'll have to tap 3-4 times just to select an activity in the Workout app.
- Speaker - One of the best novelties of an Apple Watch is answering a phone call right on the watch, however, if there's any ambient noise, it's hard to hear unless you put the watch to your ear.
- Speed - While it's amazing that I have a computer on my wrist at all, I can't help but feel that it's so slow compared to what I'm used to. When I'm in a hurry to check my email or texts, I go for my iPhone.
- Calendar - For some reason, the watch's Calendar app will only let you see one month at a time.
Despite the cons, I wear the watch every day. I have other watches and a Fitbit, but those have gotten dusty in the last 3 months.